8.4.13

When Creativity hits...


I usually think of a post idea at the least opportune time. Like when it's 11 o'clock and I really have to go to sleep in order to function as some sort of human the next day. Or when I am on the treadmill and my mind is wandering. As well as my mind being completely inconsiderate by thinking great thoughts at the wrong times, it's also a tad forgetful. So not only do I think these things, I promptly forget them.

Something great can be in my mind one minute, then gone the next. Given that I am only 31 (32 soon - eeek) I doubt it's my memory failing me - so I have taken to keeping a notebook* on me all the time to record these thoughts as soon as they pop into my head. In case you are wondering, it's in my gym bag when I am on the treadmill. Promise. It's handy and so good to go back and reflect on what I was thinking at a certain point in time.  As I work full time, I can't post right when I think of something. I usually post in my lunch break, like I am now.

Not everything that I think of is worthy of a post, but it shows me just how amazing our minds are. Even just to look back in time. And I have found that now that I know I can put my thoughts down on paper, I am thinking more freely.  I am not sure why it has happened exactly. But it has, and I freakin love it.  I mind map too....I think the process of drawing helps the creativity. Plus I love playing with different colours. I still have my complete set of 72 Derwent pencils I had when I was 14, which may explain this. It may not be the case for absolutely everyone, but it definitely brings out my creativity.

I have also found that by writing things down more, I am more positive. I am appreciating what my mind can do and how powerful it is. I am no longer cursing myself for forgetting something, I am reading my little notebook and smiling. Giving myself credit and getting excited at what lays ahead and where my thoughts will take me.  And I believe that these positive thoughts create more positive thoughts and the flow on effect is ace!

You don't have to have a blog to do this, I think it's still a great idea. Unless you have a brilliant memory and can remember everything. And if that's you, well you are definitely one of the lucky ones. Yay for you! If not, then give it a shot - I hope you find it as helpful as I do.

Keep smiling!

* I say notebook, but of course it can be some sort of device also. A laptop, iPad etc. I just like notebooks because I more mind map my ideas, but it really doesn't matter.....and for some of you it might be easier to read on a screen rather than having to decipher your own handwriting!

My notebook: (not as many colours as I usually do - but a perfect example of what I mean)








Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At April 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Rob said...

Stephen King apparently says he never carried around a notebook, cos he thinks if an idea is good enough then it will stick in his head.
I think that's bollocks myself. I actually don't think there's a huge difference between a good idea and a not good. Any idea can be turned into a good idea, what you need to do is capture it, and usually to do that you need a reason to capture it.
When I'm in a band I write a lot more songs than when I'm not, cos when I'm in a band and I am noodling about on the guitar I'm more likely to record little "sketches" of songs. Then later I will work on them and turn them into songs.
When I'm not I'll still make those sketches, but won't keep them. And they'll be forgettable enough that I won't even necessarily remember that I had them.

What you're doing here is keeping your sketches to work on them later and I reckon that's the key to creativity.

Keep it up!

 
At April 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Nic said...

Thanks Rob. Glad I'm not the only one, you seem like you've got it sorted!
I think writing them down also gives us the opportunity to tweak and expand our thoughts further. That's why the mind map works so well for me. Who knows where I will end up!
Ps thanks for being my first ever comment. Wish I had some sort of prize, will my everlasting friendship be enough of a reward?

 
At April 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love this Nic!! I remember when I first starting blogging I didn't keep a notebook and just always thought 'ohh WHAT an amazing idea that will stick in my mind' and it didnt! Just from being purely too distracted or busy and life moved on so quick. I now also keep a notebook - and if I have spare moments pull out and what I'm grateful for or journal. I find that writing things other than articles for my blog is what inspires the posts for the blog (if that makes sense). There is nothing more peaceful to me than pen on paper pouring my soul out. Loving all the posts so far and I'll look forward to continuing to read your posts :) Thank you so much for sharing your goals today on the blog - theyre amazing DO-ABLE goals..I hope you felt empowered and inspired by putting pen to paper. 2013 will be a huge year for you xx

 
At April 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Nic said...

Oh Anna thank you!
I can't believe you read my posts - that's so awesome!
This notebook thing is really coming in handy lately, because creativity hits me at random times. And the more I seem to write down the more I thoughts that seem to come in. It's ace!
I look forward to keeping in touch and seeing how my 2013 pans out.
xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home